The Draft Environmental Sustainability Plan for Oak Park and River Forest continues to generate feedback from residents, businesses, government, and community institutions. To review the plan and provide input via a brief feedback survey, please visit www.sevengenerationsahead.org/planitgreen . A summary grid of key plan strategies can be accessed here: PlanItGreen OPRF Sustainability Plan Overview and Matrix.
- The Interfaith Green Network organized an energizing draft plan review forum at the Oak Park Library on Feb 16. 65 faith-based leaders, representing 17 congregations, attended and commented on the plan and discussed strategies that their congregations would commit to working on. View the report here.
- A River Forest Residents Coffee was held in March and April to review the EDUCATION, WASTE and FOOD sections of the draft plan. The groups are making plans to implement key strategies in the coming months, and will meet again to develop a plan and funding proposal for implementation.
- The Park District of Oak Park executive team met to discuss components of the plan related to Open Space and Ecosystems and their next steps for formally adopting the plan.
- The Community Business Managers met on March 9 to learn about PlanItGreen, review key plan components, and discuss steps for having each of the institutions represented formally review and adopt the plan.
- The Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) hosted a PlanItGreen luncheon on March 10 to review the plan and provide feedback on priority strategies.
- 30 staff members from the Villages of Oak Park and River Forest met jointly on April 22nd to provide suggestions for revising and adding to the PlanItGreen Environmental Sustainability Plan. The spirit of collaboration exhibited by both villages produced innovative ideas for cross-community partnerships, displaying an interest in creating efficiencies across municipal borders to achieve common sustainability goals.
- Community-wide PlanItGreen Topic Area Forum - About 35 Oak Park & River Forest residents gathered to hear a report on PlanItGreen and give input on "what's missing" and what should be our priority strategies.
The plan will be finalized in June and a plan release event will be held. Details to be determined.
Work on the structure for implementation is underway.
PlanItGreen is a project of the Oak Park River Forest Community Foundation's Communityworks initiative, designed to engage community residents and stakeholders in creating and implementing a vision plan for a sustainable Oak Park and River Forest. Visit sevengenerationsahead.org to learn more.