Oak Park residents have until May 8th to make a difference for people and the planet by choosing 100% renewable energy. As of May 5th approximately 1300 households (6%) had opted into the green energy option for aggregated electricity in Oak Park. Hooray! And Thank you!
But, Can We Beat the Odds?
Experts say that at most, only 5-10% of a population will actually take the action to opt-in when they must actively do something rather than go with the default option. Although the green energy option is starting with a huge disadvantage by not being the default option we believe Oak Park can do better and we are asking you to help accomplish that for the sake of future generations.
Here's what we can do to help beat the odds:
- Oak Park, IL residents — to opt into 100% renewable (green) energy, please follow these easy instructions before May 8th:
- With just a quick call (5-10 min), you can select 100% renewable energy for your home.
- You'll need to have your ComEd account number ready, then just call 1.800.718.1493 and tell the Constellation Customer Service Rep that you want 100% renewable energy.
- If you have the letter from Constellation, with the "opt-out code" That is helpful but not required.
- Please help spread the word to others. People can't choose renewable energy if they don't know about it. Choose the methods that work for you to remind friends, neighbors and perfect strangers standing next to you in the grocery store! Here are a few ideas to make sharing simpler:
- Send Email, post on Facebook, or Tweet to your networks. Consider using the Share buttons at the bottom of this post.
- Walk your block and chat with your neighbors about it.
- At a book club meeting, school concert, sports event or other event where people will gather this week? -- Consider asking people if they have enrolled in the Green Energy Option.
- Tell us your creative ideas about how to get the word out!
Note: If you would like half sheet fliers with instructions about how to opt into 100% renewable energy to share with others please contact Sally Stovall (773-315-1109 or firstname.lastname@example.org). The Village has created materials on the enrollment process that you may use to disseminate to your friends and neighbors - just click here.
Together we can do it!
Together we can beat the odds and boost the percentage of residents who opt-in to green energy over the next 3 days ! Can we get 15%? 20%? Wouldn't it be amazing to get 25% or more?
Thank you for your help! And our children and grandchildren thank you, too!